With the completion of the new chain plate deck fittings we are one project closer to re-stepping the mast. The entire process is detailed in our photo album - Chain Plate Deck Fittings - Fall 2011
We applied the third coat of Brightsides Paint to the surrounding area yesterday. spot painting around the chain plates, mast step, and anchor windlass certainly highlights the sad state of our topsides paint.
Today we used 3M 4200 to re-bed the chain plates. This process prevents water from seeping through the deck fittings.
While working in the area we installed & bedded a new flush deck waste pumpout fitting. Over the past few weeks of working in the head I have noticed some water leaking in near the portside aft chain plate fitting. Unsure of how the water was intruding, we played it safe and re-bedded the port and starboard stanchion bases as well.
Thursday, October 27, 2011
Jeff and Anne aboard s/v C'est la Vie show us the final results of the construction of their chainplate platforms. If you missed Part I or Part II, it would be best if you read them first.