Monday, February 14, 2011

Waste not, want not

The sheet arrangement on Eolian's staysail uses deck-mounted blocks.  Blocks that rattle and thump on the deck when the sail is let out for downwind sailing.  This is annoying and it damages the deck and the blocks.

(Why, yes - it is raining in this picture!)
In the finest of traditions, one day at anchor I made up these turk's head pads from pieces of line which had previously served as our lazy jacks. (I am embarrassed to show how dirty things are on deck.  But spring is coming.)  Aside from looking extremely salty, they do the trick nicely, and cost absolutely nothing.

3 comments:

  1. Hey this is great! I agree. When it comes to boats, you have to recycle and reuse as much as you can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder. I'm about to change my mainsheet arrangement to deck-mounted blocks. A couple of these turk's head mini-mats will fit in nicely with Siempre Sabado's overall decor, protect the decks, and use up some of the miles and miles of line I have all over the boat.

    -Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a reminder to me too - I need to make another set of these for the mainsheet blocks.

    bob

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...