Monday, April 26, 2010

Shelving It

Project from s/v Estrellita 5.10b, April, 2010.
We had three sets of hanging lockers in our boat: one in the v-berth (master bedroom), a big one in the main living area across from the head, and one in the aft cabin.

For us, they are a waste of space. This is the large hanging locker in the main living area which I painstakingly lined with rFoil using double-sided contractor-strength rug taped with insulating tape on top to the hull.

Hanging locker pre-shelves

The rFoil has helped with condensation a little - not enough for me to recommend it to anyone. Thankfully we only have one more (planned) winter up here and the condensation will go away when we get South...until we end up somewhere with chilly water again.

But I digress.

I measured, cut and installed shelves for two of the hanging lockers before running out of good weather. Over two other good weather windows, Carol cut the remaining shelves and I painted everything.

Then we realized we needed to cut finger/ventilation holes in them which we did and I repainted the holes.

Removing wood chips

Repainting after holes

We bought a bunch of Mountainsmith Travel Cubes which we use to organize our clothing and to keep it from getting "boat smell".

Mountainsmith Cubes

We can fit 6 cubes on the two shelves with room for a big bag of less regularly needed goods beneath the bottom shelf. Right now we have a big bag of paper goods in there but that will probably be changed to spares because it is a good, low center of gravity and central storage place.

Mountainsmith Cubes

This creature comfort addition has made a big change in our daily lives, removing one more layer of stress from living on a boat. I can find my clothes. I have room for plenty. They don't get damp and they smell like laundry detergent when they come out of the cube. When we need to access the items below, the cubes are much easier to unload and reload than stacks of clothing.

I (heart) our cubes.

This post originally appeared at s/v Estrellita 5.10b. This post copyright s/v Estrellita 5.10b.

3 comments:

  1. Wow - thanks! I have been frantically playing with it. But based on your comment, I'll leave it as it is!

    (But I reserve the right to change it later...)

    bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, change away. I completely understand.

    I prefer this to the first time I saw it (?brown wallpaper I think).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...