Tuesday, June 3, 2014

The Rack ... a lesson in measure first.

We haven't heard from him for a while, but Mike continues his refit of  s/v Chalice.  The rack he built here is a beautiful piece of work and would have looked wonderful aboard, but for one tiny detail...
My wife wanted a rack in the galley that would hold bottles of cleaner and a sponge. I thought " no problem". So i went into the galley to measure the LENGTH of the rack, but did not measure how far out it would stick. Sure it'll fit. So off to work I go. Hmmm.

First a drawing. I got carried away. I wanted it to look nice.

From update _10_1_2012


Now to build it. I wanted to try some different joints in it. Remember I wanted it to look nice.

From update _10_1_2012


From update _10_1_2012


From update _10_1_2012


From update _10_1_2012



From update _10_1_2012


The sponge holder.

From update _10_1_2012


Finished! Five coats of varnish. It is a knife rack, they fit in the top, then bottles and last a sponge on the side. I used brass rods so the sponge would dry quickly.
It was very condensed, unfortunately not enough.

From update _10_1_2012


No it did not fit. It stuck out too far and would interfere with using the sink.
Tried to find another spot, but no go. We both thought we had checked it would fit, neither one of us did.

So some really good friends of ours got to take it home and hang it in their kitchen.

Hopefully this will give someone an idea for them and their boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...