Thursday, June 19, 2014

New teak grate for shower

Mike of s/v Chalice takes us thru the process he used to recreate the teak grate in his shower.  Mike has all the tools... (yes, I'm jealous)
I needed to replace the shower grate as it was broken at the angle corner. I had tried to repair it, but because of the design it really was a design flaw. So I needed a new one of a different design.

What I did was lay the old grate face down (upside down), then nailed a perimeter around it real tight. This gave me the shape I needed. I would have to build the new one upside down, but as you will see, this was the easiest way.



From update _10_1_2012


I had to angle the ends of the new teak pieces so they would fit the fiberglass liner. A later picture will show this up close.

From update _10_1_2012


Initial cut and fit done. Now I just have to add the reinforcing that holds it all together.

From update _10_1_2012


Now it's done. Built completly in the jig.

From update _10_1_2012


Hard to see but I used spacer blocks to space everything out. Very easy.

From update _10_1_2012


Old Vs New

From update _10_1_2012


Oil finish so it will not be slippery.

From update _10_1_2012

 The angle on the ends.

From update _10_1_2012


From update _10_1_2012


Now you can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...