After viewing a couple free how to videos on zippers from Sailrite, I installed a 60" zipper into the side panel of the future paddle board bag.Jeff refers to the videos available at Sailrite - I can't recommend them highly enough - they are excellent.
Next my attention turned to handles / lash points on the top and bottom of the bag. Concerned that the forces on the handles could cause the sailcloth to rip, I installed re-enforcement patches along the inside of the bag at the handle attachment points.
Using a zigzag stitch to avoid weakening the sailcloth, seven patches were sewn at 12" intervals along the mid-line of the bag.I then flipped the bag and utilizing the patches attached a continuous piece of one inch webbing to the outside of the bag.My next challenge is to create a slit in the bottom of the bag to allow the skeg to remain in place while the board is stowed in the bag.
Tuesday, October 2, 2012
Jeff on s/v C'est la Vie continues with Part II of his project based on an old sail (you may want to read Part I first):