Thursday, March 1, 2012

Hinges

Drew over at Sail Delmarva, has installed hinges on his under-seat locker covers. This is an excellent idea!
I don't know why PDQ left hinges off most of the locker covers. They didn't cheap-out much. But they missed this one. Every time you need just one little think, off comes the cushion, the lid must be leaned somewhere... a big pain. With a hinge, lifting the lid just a bit to snag just one thing is reasonable.

I added hinges to my under-berth lockers some time ago, and it was a big improvement. They get used a lot more.



I added these drop-in trays to the salon lockers. A big help--commonly used and small items don't disappear into dark corners.



And now I've added hinges to the salon lockers. A big help.




Notes:
  • I didn't bother with the corner lockers (they won't open properly because of the backrests) or the cover over the charger.
  • I didn't bother with stainless hinges. I did oil them lightly (Corr-Block) and I haven't seen any signs of rust. It's a dry cabin.

2 comments:

  1. This is one of those simple ideas that have a way of getting overlooked. For some reason I've never thought about hinging my locket lids bit now I can see it'd be a real boon. And I like the method of holding the one open in the top picture. Simple, cheap, effective. Seriously.

    -Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an excellent post and very helpful. Do you have any suggestions for making those spaces in the back of the locker more accessible?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...